• #navbar-iframe { height: 30px; visibility: ; display: top; }
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007
    Skinny Food
    Happy Thanksgiving (late) Canadians! Hope you all had nice yummy dinners... This was the first time in 5 years that I wasn't celebrating thanksgiving in Vancouver - crazy, huh? Well we had a nice time, went to Craig's parents house. That was fun, being able to pop over there for the evening. We had amazing food and I brought the green bean casserole, of course! Can't have thanksgiving without that, at least I can't.

    Being that it was thanksgiving yesterday and I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted, I worked really hard today to eat healthily and work off some of those extra calories. So I wanted to share with you an extremely filling, tasty and low-cal, low-fat, and low-carb dinner I had tonight, that I invented. You might think it's crazy, but you wont after you try it!

    Shrimpscetti (creative, huh?)
    1 zucchini
    5-6 large shrimp
    garlic clove (or 1 tsp crushed)
    olive oil
    1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
    a pinch of basil, salt, pepper, and parsley (fresh parsley would be best, but i used dried).

    Now who doesn't like pasta? I don't know many people who aren't fans. But the obvious thing about pasta is that too much puts extra padding around the middle, for most of us (not craig). SO, this part I did not invent, the zucchini replaces the pasta in this dish because zucchini is basically a great vegetable with little flavor on it's own, so it sucks up all the flavors around it and then tastes like them. So you need a zester, or peeler if you don't have one, and you want to zest the whole zucchini, skin included, down to the seeds. You will basically end up with just the middle tube on the zuchini. Put this in the frying pan with olive oil. Add the rest and cook up nice and hot. Trust me, the lemon juice and garlic and spices flavor the zucchini so it takes even better than pasta! Yet you sort of feel like you're eating spaghetti. You could use the zucchini like that with red sauce as well.

    Yum-o! as Rachel Ray would say. The best part about it is that I was totally filled up, and the whole thing was only 175 calories! Check out the nutrition facts that I whipped up on Sparkpeople. Here's some pictures I took. Nice and green!

    Labels: , , ,

    posted by jamie @ 8:00 PM  
    2 Comments:
    • At 2:19 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger Emily Deu said…

      that's such a good idea about the zuchinni, I really want to try that now. I don't like shrimp, but I will find a substitute. It sounds so yummy!!!! Thanks for sharing!

       
    • At 7:53 PM, October 10, 2007, Blogger j. oates said…

      hey did you know there is spaghetti squash as well..you bake it and then it strings up like real spaghetti....and it's also yummy and healthy. and they are in season right now. good idea on the zucchini though.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     

    About Me

    Name: jamie
    Home: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    About Me: I am an American living in Ontario. I've just recently started going to school again for a BA in Human Services. I like mexican and indian food and watching tv way more than the average individual. I absolutely love talking to my parents on the phone and my brother is one of my best friends. I'm married to a great guy whose pretty much the exact opposite of me but he loves me and makes laugh and we have a lot of fun. I didn't always feel this way, but these days I'm feelin' pretty good. That's my life, welcome to chaos and order.
    See my complete profile
    for entertaining
    for watching
    for reading
    for contemplating the recent past
    for contemplating the past
    for finding things

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    for pushing buttons

    Jamie Porter Church's Facebook profile 2k Bloggers

    for making money
     
    © Chaos & Order . template by insani.com