• #navbar-iframe { height: 30px; visibility: ; display: top; }
    Thursday, May 03, 2007
    What's it Worth?

    This is how I know I am ready to go back to school.

    I read this entire manual, cover to cover, for Empire State University. I never would've done that before.

    My choice is becoming more easy by the day. Let me tell you the pros of Empire State:

    1. I don't have to commute at all, I can take my entire degree from the comforts of my own home, or just do the first year and then transfer to a Canadian school if I want.

    2. it would save a lot on gas money

    3. it wouldn't put my permanent residency application in jeopardy by the border crossings

    4. it's way cheaper

    For those of you concerned about the whole 'online' thing, this is how it works and why it would be okay:

    Each class is designed for around 15-20 students to be taking it at the same time. You 'take the class' by going to it's own web page, where you watch and listen to lectures, get your assignments, talk with the professor and other students taking the class, take tests and quizzes, participate in discussions, hand in your work, etc. Some classes require you to all take the class at the same time, especially in the case of foreign language, so you can practice speaking it with each other. (And by the way I am soo excited to take Spanish again!) Other classes just require you to participate on a discussion board a minimum of 4 times a week. You are graded on not only your assignment scores and grades, but your class participation as well. You are very accountable as each student has their own advisor who is their main contact with the school. So there wouldn't be the issue of just not reading the material or anything - you actually have to 'show up'.

    I have also really enjoyed going through the list of classes offered to me. I am so excited at the thought of learning and lecture again. Also, I was looking at the cost and it got me thinking. It's approximately $725 per class... and I thought, "wow that's a lot of money just for education" but then I had a mini revelation - I am so lucky to even have the opportunity for an education. Some people in countries where it's not available to everyone, would give anything to be able to learn. So I think $725 is worth it.

    Well that's all for now. I have to give my final decision in about a week but I feel pretty good with this right now.

    Labels: , ,

    posted by jamie @ 1:15 AM  
    4 Comments:
    • At 11:35 AM, May 03, 2007, Blogger joanna said…

      that's so cool...i never knew that's how it would work. that sounds awesome jame... i wish it would work for you to go and stay in vancouver at the same time....

       
    • At 2:31 PM, May 04, 2007, Blogger Kristina said…

      wow, that sounds pretty cool, though I myself would have a difficult time of self discipline. Hey I just noticed that there's a pic of you as a kid on pams blog...ha, like a secret signiture..

       
    • At 5:14 PM, May 04, 2007, Blogger jamie said…

      ahh yes you found me out steener ;)

       
    • At 10:12 AM, May 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      What no German? I finally feel vindicated that you're looking forward to taking Spanish - it's in your blood.

      Love, Mom

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     

    About Me

    Name: jamie
    Home: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    About Me: I am an American living in Ontario. I've just recently started going to school again for a BA in Human Services. I like mexican and indian food and watching tv way more than the average individual. I absolutely love talking to my parents on the phone and my brother is one of my best friends. I'm married to a great guy whose pretty much the exact opposite of me but he loves me and makes laugh and we have a lot of fun. I didn't always feel this way, but these days I'm feelin' pretty good. That's my life, welcome to chaos and order.
    See my complete profile
    for entertaining
    for watching
    for reading
    for contemplating the recent past
    for contemplating the past
    for finding things

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    for pushing buttons

    Jamie Porter Church's Facebook profile 2k Bloggers

    for making money
     
    © Chaos & Order . template by insani.com