• #navbar-iframe { height: 30px; visibility: ; display: top; }
    Wednesday, August 02, 2006
    Dr. Sell Out McGraw


    I've been meaning to write about this for some time now. It all started a few weeks ago when Craig was watching Dr. Phil while i was putting my make up on in another room. He said to me, "You know, I'm really surprised that Dr. Phill is so into on-line dating!" I, feeling that i know Dr. Phil quite well, answered back "he's probably just doing a show on the pros and cons of it, or how to be safe.. i doubt he really is for it."

    So i sit down, to make sure my observations are correct, and slowly realise that, in fact not only is he talking only about the 'pro's', but he is now telling people why its so safe and what to write in your profile to get you the best matches! I was like, whoa! Are you serious Dr. Phil? Can't we be a bit more objective with something as risky as hooking up with people you've never met before, and know nothing about except for reading an online profile with added 'pic'??

    But, we go on our day as usual, and i shrug off this episode as one of the few times that Dr. Phil and I will just have to 'agree to disagree'. No matter.. I still like him.

    Until.... later that night, while expressing my concerns to my parents about the content of the Dr. Phil show, my dad says to me, "you know why he did a show about it, don't you?" Not believing that my dad could possibly know more about Dr. Phil than I do, i sort of shrug it off like, "not really, why?" "He's the new Match.Com spokes person!"

    "WHAT???"

    Sad but true.. He is being paid to sell as many people to match.com as possible and he sure is working hard at it! You know, i have no problem with him promoting his books on his show, he really beleives in what they say and they really do help people.. But to not only advertise, but become the spokes person for an on-line dating service..?? I mean come on.. How can i trust his oppinions about anything anymore? How do i know he's not just being paid to say something? How can i trust his objectivity?

    i just don't know anymore... Sorry Dr Phil, I'll have to find a new source of talk-show help.
    posted by jamie @ 12:30 AM  
    5 Comments:
    • At 4:48 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Audrey Whitesides said…

      ha ha thats how i felt when oprah went on about well...you know what!!! hey, they are entertainment...thats it really...sometimes they inspire us and help us see something different...but really we know where our True Source is!

      love you...

       
    • At 2:02 PM, August 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      I'm sorry your Dr. Phil bubble burst. It's never fun to have people you admire 'sell out' but like your friend Audrey said, he is there for entertainment. I think Dr. Phil has some good to say and some not-so-good. Just like those goofy judge shows that I like, you can learn a little about the law, but Judy's there mainly to yell at stupid people. Entertaining, um...yes, but certainly not inspiring.

      Love ya! Mom

       
    • At 5:07 PM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Leanne said…

      you did know that kory and i met online, right? i mean, granted, there are freaks on those sites, and i certainly didn't use match.com, but for some of us, it's not all bad. but sorry that dr. phil burst your bubble. love ya. lea

       
    • At 2:37 PM, August 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      hahaha....mom.



      jay

       
    • At 1:47 AM, August 07, 2006, Blogger Michael said…

      yeah I know people that have met people online and married them so I dont think its that bad.

      Anyways anytime you put someone on a pedestal they are always going to dissapoint you... I mean look at people you idolise, Eminem, Oprah, Marishka, New Kids on the Block, Harry Potter, Myself.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     

    About Me

    Name: jamie
    Home: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    About Me: I am an American living in Ontario. I've just recently started going to school again for a BA in Human Services. I like mexican and indian food and watching tv way more than the average individual. I absolutely love talking to my parents on the phone and my brother is one of my best friends. I'm married to a great guy whose pretty much the exact opposite of me but he loves me and makes laugh and we have a lot of fun. I didn't always feel this way, but these days I'm feelin' pretty good. That's my life, welcome to chaos and order.
    See my complete profile
    for entertaining
    for watching
    for reading
    for contemplating the recent past
    for contemplating the past
    for finding things

    Add to Technorati Favorites

    for pushing buttons

    Jamie Porter Church's Facebook profile 2k Bloggers

    for making money
     
    © Chaos & Order . template by insani.com